Denver Slide Show

New York City Slide Show 1

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

WTC

NYC is pretty fun. The other night we went to see Shakespeare in the Park. They did Hamlet. Everyone died. Then three hours later, the end of the play arrived. I slept through a good portion of the first half, while Suzie slept through most of the second. We had pretzels and wine. Anyway, the play, Hamlet, was three and half hours long and it ended up being very entertaining. The best part was that it was free.

The next day, went to the Staton Island Ferry. That also was very cool. We got to see the Statue of Liberty and all the stuff that goes with it. One very touching aspect of the day was seeing the WTC site. We also walked around the churches nearby and took plenty of pictures. This one of the things that I’ve heard many people talk about, but until you experience it, its just not the same. Seeing all the picture that everyone drew, and reading about the events that happened that day and the days following was very emotional. It evokes a sense of pride in the one’s country and the people here. It’s the great equalizer and all of the sudden, everyone is in the same boat. Everyone is affected by this; maybe not directly, but because everyone around them is affected, it touches the people’s lives who didn’t know anyone who died.

We also got some pizza for lunch (so delicious). The pizza is fantastic here. It looks like they make it and it’s a couple hours old and then they warm it up in the oven and its soooooo good. I love it.

After the ferry, we went up to the Late Show with David Letterman. It was quite a long line and they had us do all these things when we laughed. They told us we couldn’t make any high pitched sounds and we were supposed to laugh at everything. The show was ok. I think Dennis Leary was the guest the musical guest some crazy band that I never heard of. I think I fell asleep during the musical guest though. (surprise)

Finally, after the Late Show, we went to see “The Happening.” It was fairly good. This was not M. Night’s best work, but I was entertained. Suzie didn’t like it. I definitely understand why many people did not like it, but eh, whatever. I think he might have peaked with 6th sense.

By the time the movie got over, it was very late and we got some Chinese and then some Cold Stone for dessert. I couldn’t believe it was nearly 1am and it was bright as the noon-day sun outside.

I felt a little bad for “Snooze” (he’s the foreigner that doesn’t do anything but drift in and out of sleep all day. . . and I don't know his real name). His traveling companion, “Mess” (he told us to call him that because we couldn’t pronounce his name properly, is very courteous. He is a loud sleeper though as his bed squeaks all night, but at least he goes out and does things. Suzie and I are out most the whole day (well, after noon anyways) and usually don’t get back till very late. I don’t think I’ve ever seen “Snooze” away from his bed though. He may even have a cup to pee in because I’m not sure I’ve seen him go to the bathroom.

No comments: