Denver Slide Show

New York City Slide Show 1

Friday, June 13, 2008

First day in NYC

I arrived in New York City today. I already don't like it. Its just too big and it smells like urine. Well, not everywhere smells like urine; I did get a fresh cut grass smell by Central Park, a whiff of fecal matter near the showers in the hostel we're staying, and the B.O. smell of congested people in the airport was less than desirous. Its amazing how strong the sense the smell is with memories. As I smelled the grass clippings today, I recalled the summers spent mowing grass and how much satisfaction I took in the sight and smell of a freshly manicured lawn. Also, when I'm fortunate enough to sense a hint of lilac, I'm instantly transported back to a riding mower, age 9, edging my around the lilac bush so carefully, yet always managing to clip one of the weaker branches that didn't move out of my way fast enough. I guess I have mom and dad to blame for all my olfactory memories involving lawn mowing. I hope to not think of the New York subway every time I go to the bathroom now.

The Hostel we're staying at it is a typical Hostel. Suzie says its quite nice for a hostel which makes me less than motivated to visit any others ever again. I feel like I'm in another country here. The different nationalities and cultures all here under one roof are a little overwhelming at times. I really enjoyed the hour we spent in Central Park away from people. This is just another reminder that God did not intend for me to live in the city. I enjoy visiting, but my heart isn't here.

This evening Suzie and I decided to explore the neighborhood around the hostel. We walked out the door, turned left, and started walking. After 20 minutes of just people watching and meandering down the street we found ourselves in surrounded by fried chicken restaurants and $.99 stores. We chose one and took our mediocre dinner back to the park to eat (It sure wasn't the Colonel). I don't plan on going back. I really want to find one of these hot dog stands that I've heard so much about.

Mostly today though, I read. I've been reading "Economic Hitman" while postponing "Pedagogy of the Oppressed." I also may have slipped in a nerd book called "The Wheel of Time" (thanks Jared). I finished that one yesterday and got 200 pages into the second book of the series, "The Great Hunt."

1 comment:

SarahMaurer said...

Guess this NYC experience will some-what prepare you for what it will be like in Africa (w/the foreign country part of course). Hopefully you remembered to bring sunscreen b/c from the looks of your skin in CO, I'm sure your gonna fry in Africa. I remember having a little bit of culture shock in Europe and Japan. Praying for you!
-Me